Southwest Region - DeSoto, TX
Field/Application Product Engineer
Assist the SEW-EURODRIVE sales staff to support, service and sell SEW-EURODRIVE electro-mechanical products via on-site technical application support as well as knowledge of the market.
Experience and Educational Requirements
Technical or Electronics degree preferred, or 5 years’ direct experience.
Experience with industrial fieldbuses (DeviceNet, Profibus) preferred.
- Provide technical assistance and troubleshooting/repair of SEW-EURODRIVE electronic and electro/mechanical products to customers; on-site or in office.
- Develop an understanding of the common applications in their area of responsibility.
- Provide technical assistance over the phone.
- Work independent and responsibly on projects and other assigned tasks.
- Be able to assess good judgment and making decisions on projects and other assigned tasks.
- Assist in setting up and programming electronic controllers for customer.
- Attend meetings, seminars, trade shows, conduct field service, and assist customers with application expertise.
- Assist SEW-EURODRIVE DSM’s and customers with application expertise, including both mechanical and electrical design engineering.
- Generate material for and conduct maintenance and product seminars and trainings.
- Provide technical, promotional and sales support to all customers and SEW-EURODRIVE district sales managers.
- Catalog and maintain technical information relating to SEW-EURODRIVE products and applications.
- Accompany SEW-EURODRIVE technical staff as well as Industry Account Managers to pre-qualified accounts to discuss, in-depth, the SEW-EURODRIVE products (mechanical and electrical) which will best suit the application needs for that customer.
- Assist with regional training needs and provide ongoing complete product training for inside engineering and sales personnel.
- Size and sell electro-mechanical drive systems in a cost conscious manner. This requires knowledge of important application characteristics such as those found, for example, in winding, indexing and hoisting applications.
- Support SEW-EURODRIVE technical staff and customers in the startup, commissioning, and programming of SEW-EURODRIVE electronic drives.
- Be proficient in PLC languages based on IEC1131. Embedded languages preferred.
- Very good understanding of automation and controls for material handling systems.
- Attend regular training on SEW-EURODRIVE products.
- Self-train on SEW-EURODRIVE electro-mechanical products on a continuous basis.
- Report issues regarding pricing or features of electronic products to the TASC specialist in Lyman for incorporation into future products. Relay customer complaints and observations about the electro-mechanical products and documentation in the same way.
- Develop training and documentation materials for customer training courses as required.
- Must comply with all current ISO Quality and Work Instructions for job, all Company Safety rules, and all other Company rules, policies and procedures.
- Assess each situation and do not perform any tasks which s/he feels is unsafe, on which s/he has not received training, or engage in any unsafe work practices. Report any unsafe condition to his/her manager.
- Frequently travel on Company business to any required destination domestically as well as overseas. Frequently stay overnight for extended periods of time, obtain lodging, and occasionally conduct business in the evenings, weekends, and holidays and outside of normal business hours.
- Possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License and driving record satisfactory to SEW-EURODRIVE or otherwise be able to transport yourself to and from various locations, including customer facilities, to engage in diverse business activities.
- Follow all customer safety rules, including the passing of any required drug screens.
- Read and understand supporting documentation for the work area.
- Perform other tasks as requested.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to perform all tasks listed above to the Company’s expectations. Must be currently eligible and authorized to work in the United States on an ongoing indefinite basis.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with continuous interruptions.
- Must have good oral and written communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to follow instruction, written and verbal.
- Ability to organize workload for timely accomplishment of work.
- Ability to communicate with all Company employees in a businesslike and professional manner. Ability to appropriately handle stress and interact with others. P
- Possess strong overall office skills, including use of computers, their applications, and other office equipment.
- Must be able to occasionally sit, stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, push and pull, bend, twist, stoop and kneel.
- Must be able to repetitively lift up to 30 lbs.
- Must be able to occasionally lift up to 50lbs.
- Must be able to attend technical training meetings, seminars and trade shows as requested.
- Technical or Electronics degree preferred, or 5 years direct experience.
- Experience with industrial fieldbuses (DeviceNet, Profibus) preferred.
- Knowledge of various types of PLC’s and ability to troubleshoot and modify programs.
- Ability to read and understand parts lists, catalogs, price books, general factory instructions and SEW-EURODRIVE customer service procedures.
- Ability to understand nomenclature and number assignments of the SEW-EURODRIVE products.
- Ability to operate various test instruments, i.e., multimeters, oscilloscopes, strip chart recorders, etc.
- Must have experience with AC variable frequency controllers and servo motor controllers.
- Basic soldering skills.
- Must become knowledgeable in the applications of the customers’ equipment.
- Must have strong initiative in order to solve problems which fall outside of documented processes. This requires the ability to collect and interpret information into solutions that are in the best interest of the company.
- Must have strong computer programming skills and background.
- Ability to read control wiring diagrams.
- Always be businesslike and professional to fellow employees, customers, suppliers, or people who work on behalf of the Company. If you decide to make complaints or criticism, avoid making statements that reasonably could be viewed as malicious, obscene, profane, threatening or intimidating, or disparaging to customers, employees or suppliers, or people who work on behalf of the Company, or that might constitute harassment or bullying. Examples of such conduct might include offensive comments meant to intentionally harm someone’s reputation or comments that could contribute to a hostile work environment on the basis of race, gender, disability, religion, or any other status protected by law or Company policy. Do not be insubordinate to Company supervisors or managers.
SEW-Eurodrive is a global leader in the power transimission and industrial motion technology. From airport logistics to industrial processes: we keep the world moving. We offer great opportunities and an excellent 100% paid group health plan for our employees.
Benefits for eligible employees include:
Medical InsuranceIncludes Dental Plan, Vision Care, Audio Benefits and Perscription Drug Card
Life InsuranceIncludes Accidental Death & Dismemberment benefit.
DisabilityIncludes both Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability.
Paid VacationIncludes 2-weeks vacation per year, which increases after 5 years and 10 years of service
Holiday PayIncludes 12 paid holidays per year
Retirement BenefitsIncludes 401(k) with Contribution Matching and Profit Sharing
Additional job requirements and responsibilities would be discussed during the interview process.