Field Service Technician
The position involves providing technical assistance and troubleshooting/repair of SEW-Eurodrive electronic controllers and other electro-mechanical equipment which includes frequent travel to Customer sites.
Experience and Educational Requirements
Associates Degree in Electronic Engineering/Technology or equivalent, plus 3 years’ experience with industrial drives.
- Provide technical assistance and troubleshooting/repair of SEW-Eurodrive electronic and electro/mechanical products to customers.
- Provide technical assistance over the phone.
- Provide assistance with inventory when needed.
- Assist in setting up electronic controllers for customer orders.
- Attend meetings, seminars, trade shows, conduct field service and assist customers with application expertise.
- Assist SEW-Eurodrive DSM’s and customers with application expertise including both mechanical and electrical design engineering.
- Catalog and maintain technical information relating to SEW-Eurodrive products and applications.
- Generate material for and conduct maintenance and product seminars and trainings.
- Provide technical, promotional and sales support to all customers and SEW-Eurodrive DSM’s.
- Handle complaints of field failures and evaluate all products returned for warranty analysis, document inspections/complaints, generate reports and administrative warranty decisions in accordance with SEW-Eurodrive established procedures.
- Assist with training regional personnel and customers.
- Must comply with all current ISO Quality and Work Instructions for job, all Company Safety rules, and all other Company rules, policies and procedures.
- Assess each situation and do not perform any tasks which s/he feels is unsafe, on which s/he has not received training, or engage in any unsafe work practices. Report any unsafe condition to his/her manager.
- Frequently travel on Company business to any required destination domestically as well as overseas. Frequently stay overnight for extended periods of time, obtain lodging, and occasionally conduct business in the evenings, weekends, and holidays and outside of normal business hours.
- Possess a valid Driver’s License and maintain a driving record satisfactory to SEW-Eurodrive or otherwise be able to transport yourself to and from various locations, including customer facilities, to engage in diverse business activities.
- Follow all customer safety rules, including the passing of any required drug screens.
- Read and understand supporting documentation for the work area.
- Perform other tasks as requested.
- Ability to perform all tasks listed above to the Company’s expectations.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with continuous interruptions.
- Must have good oral and written communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to follow instruction, written and verbal.
- Ability to communicate with all Company employees in a businesslike and professional manner. Ability to appropriately handle stress and interact with others.
- Ability to organize workload for timely accomplishment of work.
- Possess strong overall office skills, including use of computers, their applications, and other office equipment.
- Must be able to occasionally sit, stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, push and pull, bend, twist, stoop, kneel and occasionally lift up to 50 lbs.
- Associates Degree in Electronic Engineering/Technology or equivalent, plus 3 years’ experience with industrial drives.
- Ability to read and understand parts lists, catalogs, price books, general factory instructions and SEW-Eurodrive customer service procedures.
- Ability to understand nomenclature and number assignments of the SEW-Eurodrive products.
- Ability to operate various test instruments, i.e., multimeters, oscilloscopes, strip chart recorders, etc.
- Must have experience with AC variable frequency controllers and servo motor controllers.
- Basic soldering skills.
- Must become knowledgeable in the applications of the customers’ equipment.
- Must have strong initiative in order to solve problems which fall outside of documented processes. This requires the ability to collect and interpret information into solutions that are in the best interest of the company.
- Must have strong computer programming skills and background.
- Knowledge of various types of PLC’s and ability to troubleshoot and modify programs.
- Experience with industrial fieldbuses (DeviceNet, Profibus) preferred.
- Ability to read control wiring diagrams.
Additional job requirements and responsibilities would be discussed during the interview process.
Step 1: Click here to download and SAVE the SEW-EURODRIVE application for employment.
Step 2: Click the saved file to open it. Complete the application using your computer. Then, resave the file.
Step 3: Click here to submit your resume and application.
SEW-EURODRIVE is an international leader in the power transmission industry. We offer great opportunities and an excellent 100% paid group health plan for employees. Benefits for eligible employees include:
- Medical Program
- Dental Plan
- Vision Care
- Audio Benefits
- Prescription Drug Card
- Life Insurance and Accidental
Death & Dismemberment
- Short Term Disability
- Long Term Disability
- 12 holidays/year
- Paid vacation
- Retirement Plan, including 401(k)
and Profit Sharing